Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

I finally read book #4 in the Sookie Stackhouse series, Dead to the World. I would probably have read the entire series by now if I had them all on my Nook. Unfortunately, I borrowed the books for the rest of the series in paperback, and I keep forgetting that I have them. When I finish a book on my Nook, I tend to start another one right away...so the rest of this series may have to wait a bit. The good news is that it's only going to be a a few more months before True Blood is back on TV! That alone will encourage me to keep reading!

So I enjoyed this book, mostly because I already know that Sookie doesn't end up with Bill, so I was happy to see her and Eric finally connect. I had been forewarned by my friends that this book was one of their favorites because of the sex scenes between Sookie and Eric. Now if you're looking for a lengthy, explicit sex scene, you need to find a romance novel. Charlaine Harris gets the job done with few words and even fewer details. It works though, and the scenes in this book are no exception. I really hope to see a few of them play out in the TV series though. Alan Ball has the ability to give readers what they were missing in the books.

Aside from the short, vague love scenes, I feel like Harris leaves a lot of other stuff out of this book too. It is in this book that we meet witches for the first time, and I don't feel like she gave us enough description and background. That part of the book lacked depth and I really think the book could have been better if she had gone deeper with those characters and that plot line. I'm guessing that she kept it to a minimum to keep the book at a similar length to the previous books. I would have been much happier with a longer book that did a little more explaining.

That said, I did enjoy this book and look forward to book #5!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...