Sunday, January 2, 2011

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Book 2 of the Sookie Stackhouse series was just as good as the first, but not what I was expecting. I hate to compare it to the HBO series True Blood, because I know the show is only loosely based on the books, but because I've seen seasons 1-3, I have no choice.

From the show, I expected the second book to be a lot more about the maenad, and the Fellowship of the Sun, but there was shockingly little about that in the book. I can finally see why my best friend gets so worked up about how much the show deviates from the books! Regardless, I still like the books, and the show, but for different reasons.

One of the things that I actually liked about this book is that you get to see the depth of Sookie's love for Bill. I know that for people that have read the entire series, that isn't necessarily a good thing. I know she ends up with Eric, but I like that she and Bill have a real relationship (as real as it can be between a vampire and a human).

Another thing that I liked is that Sookie's brother, Jason isn't involved with the Fellowship of the Sun. I always found that storyline kind of weird in the show.  I was surprised how minimal Jason's role has been in the books so far. Similarly, I didn't like that the character of Godric/Godfrey was so minimalized in the book, and he was made out to be such an evil vampire. Now I'm curious if he will be explored in more detail in subsequent books, or if what we see of him in True Blood is all fabricated for the show.

This book was a good, fast read, and it made me want to read the next book in the series, Club Dead. It's already downloaded to my Nook, and is ready to go, after I finish Slacker Girl, by Alexandra Koslow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...